Ooops Ice Cream Cake with Kids

Baking With Kids!


So it is the summer holidays, 6 weeks off for all the younger ones and then when they return they move on up to their new classes/school and year! I remember being so scared moving up to middle school and upper school in fact it never got any easier. And even now as an “adult” I still find the same feeling creeping back when I start a job or meet new people (I’m not great with change)

I am on Maternity leave (not for much longer, wahh) with my little boy so I have my little brother and sister quite a bit over the holidays. I don’t mind it helps my parents out and I love spending time with them, they are super easy to look after as they are age 8 and 12 (I really hope I got that right otherwise I’m a terrible sister) and they just sort themselves out a lot of the time.

This week I decided they could help me make my Blog creation. This was a struggle for me as I do like my cakes to look perfect! But my little brother really got stuck in and he loved making it and finding out all my secret tips.

So this week we made oops Ice cream cake-


It was so fun and so easy to make! With this cake you really could use any sponge and filling you want. I think it’s good to keep it Ice Cream themed with possible ice cream flavours. So my little brother chose Chocolate Sponge with strawberry butter cream filling, Yum right?!

I only made a small 6” but I did make it quite tall with five layers, but with the sponge recipe I used there is more than enough to make a 3 layer 8” cake I just made it smaller so we could make cupcakes with the leftover batter.

I wasn’t in my own kitchen either when I made this cake which I found was a struggle as I didn’t have all my tools, like my squeeze bottle or piping bag for the chocolate drips.  But you know you make and make do.

I hope you give this cake a go with any little ones you have or know and I hope they enjoy just as much as we did!

Subscribe and Share if you liked this or any of my other blogs. If you have any recommendations then let me know.
Thank you again.

Ingredients:

Sponge:

400g Butter unsalted
400g Light brown sugar
7 large eggs
1tsp baking powder
305g Self Raising Flour
95g Cocoa Powder
2tsp vegetable oil/sunflower oil

Filling:

300g Unsalted Room temp butter
600g icing sugar
2tsps strawberry flavouring
Decoration:
Food colouring (I chose pink for strawberries)
Ice cream cone
160g chocolate melts (mine were a coral pink)
Sprinkles

Method:

Step one,
Line and prepare your cake tins and preheat  your oven to 180c Fan/ 350f /gm4. Cream together 400g of unsalted butter and 400g of light brown sugar until fully combined and smooth, then one by one add in 7 large eggs.

Step Two,
Once your eggs have combined mix in 305g of self raising flour, 1tsp baking powder and 95g of cocoa powder. Then pour in 2tsp of Veg oil, this helps keep in the moisture of the cake as I sometimes find chocolate cake is so dry, this is also the reason you use 305g of flour instead of 400g like my usual sponge recipes as you add 95g of cocoa powder which is another dry ingredient and we DO NOT LIKE DRY CAKE. Okay so once your oil has mixed into your cake batter nicely, evenly distribute between your 5  6” tins. I did not use 5 tins I used 2 one of which was very deep so I put more batter in that one and once done evenly sliced into 5 layers, whatever works for you.

Step Three,
Place in the oven for approximately 30 mins 180c fan /350f /gm4. Test the cake with a clean knife if it comes out clean then your cakes are cooked/baked? I don’t know. Place on a wire rack to cool completely for 30 minutes.

Step Four,
Whilst your cakes are cooling cream 300g of room temp unsalted butter and then spoon by spoon add in 600g of icing sugar. Once combined mix in 2 tsps of strawberry flavouring (more or less depending on your desired flavour) I then added a single drop of Rainbow Dust pink pro gel to make a lovely baby pink. Leave in the fridge to keep cool.

Step Five,
Once your cakes have cooled level them off (DO NOT THROW AWAY THE SCRAPS YOU NEED THEM) Layer your cakes up with the filling and then apply an even crumb coat and set in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes. Bring it out and apply a second layer of buttercream on the outside of the cake being abit more generous this time round but still scraping it to create a nice flat surface, then place back in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.

Step Six,
Crumble together all your scraps in a bowl and add 2 tbsps of your left over buttercream mix together until soft and squidgy, Mould some into the shape of ball (or the top of an ice cream) and then place the rest inside the cone.
Step Seven,
Place your chocolate melts into a microwaveable bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals until nice and runny.

Step Eight,
Place a layer on the top of the cake spreading it out so it drips down the sides of the cake, the drips don’t have to be neat it is a dropped ice cream at the end of the day, place your round cake ball in the centre of the cake and pour over some of the melted chocolate until the ball is covered place the cone on top of the ball and hold in place for one minute.

Step Nine,
Generously apply sprinkles on top of the cake. Slice, eat and enjoy!!!

Hope you enjoyed this one like I said it is something fun to do with the kids big and small.

Thanks for reading until next time,

Emily x



Comments

Popular Posts