The Biscoff Drip

Hello everyone, so this is now my second blog post and I was so eager to get this one on here as it was so fun to make!!

So if you follow me on any of my social media sites then you would have seen my latest creation was this beauty-


Hereby named ‘The Biscoff Drip’. I have seen so many recipes and variations of Biscoff cakes and when my Dad moaned that I never make cakes for him to eat (he is a fussy moo) I thought with this being one of his favourite biscuits I’d give it a crack making my own version.

Like I said it was so fun to make. This cake was something new for me as it’s all about exploring new textures.

Just like my other blog I will post a basic version of the recipe below, but if you would like a more in depth version and the occasional rambling off on tangents from me then read on.

This was a three layer cake all cakes at 8” you could make a taller version with this same recipe amounts by using four to five 6” tins but I used three 8”Anyway line and prepare three 8” tins. Preheat your oven on 180’c Fan/ 350f/ GM4.

For the sponge in this recipe I used my usual sponge recipe, you can find the detailed version of this on my Rainbow Dreams Blog post-Rainbow Dream Cake Recipe

So after you have made your cake batter evenly spread it into your prepared three 8” tins and place it in the oven for 40 minutes (ovens do vary so check it at 30 minutes). Once 40 minutes has passed use a cake tester or butter knife and poke it in the middle of each sponge if the tester/knife come out clean and free of any wet batter etc then your sponges are done. Leave in their tins and allow to cool for 10 minutes. After 10 Minutes transfer each cake on to cooling racks for a further 20-30 minutes to completely cool.

Whilst your cakes are cooling make a start on your yummy buttercream. Now I’m going to be honest with you a lot Lotus Biscoff cake recipes use the ‘Biscoff Biscuit Spread’ incorporated into the icing to make this cake, I bought the spread 100% intending to do this also. Then done classic me and completely done my own thing and forgot about the Biscoff spread sitting in the cupboard- personally I think it worked in my favour as the cake still tasted unreal- like ridiculously heavenly.

I decided that my ‘Brown Sugar Buttercream’ would be perfect for this cake (I was so right). So to make my ‘Brown Sugar Buttercream’ cream 250g of room temperature Stork or Unsalted butter in a stand mixer until smooth. Then add 250g of dark brown or light brown sugar, I used dark brown for a richer taste. Once this has combined fully with the butter, spoon by spoon add 350g of icing sugar until fully combined and smooth.

The Buttercream will have texture unlike your standard buttercream which is completely smooth; ‘Brown Sugar Buttercream’ has a slightly crunchy texture from the brown sugar of course. Like I said earlier this cake is made so amazing by all the different textures so just go with it.

For this recipe I used a whole 250g pack of ‘Lotus Biscoff Caramelised biscuits’ I took two whole biscuits out and placed them to the side for decoration later on. Grab a sandwich bag I suggest you make sure they are quite thick otherwise they may split through the vigorous beating your about to give them. Pour the rest of the biscuits in the sandwich bag and place the sandwich bag inside another sandwich bag. Using a rolling pin beat the living biscuit out of the bag until there is nothing but crumbs and dust.

Grab a cake board and put a little splodge of buttercream on the board to hold down your first layer, place on your first layer and apply a generous coating of buttercream and then sprinkle a handful of your Biscoff crumb on top, repeat on your next layer and so on until you’re on your last layer. You will have quite a bit of crumbs left this is good, leave this to the side for decoration.

Apply a nice amount of buttercream on top of the cake and using a palette knife and a back and forth motion evenly spread this on the top. Then grab some more buttercream and generously apply to sides of the cake evenly spreading it until it smooth. Place the leftover buttercream in a piping bag to the side for later.
When I got to this point with a perfectly iced cake I Opened up my cupboard t and there it was The Biscoff Spread just staring at me like you ‘forgot me!!’ So I improvised and like I mentioned before it went in my favour and made this cake amazing! Lay out some cling film flat on a surface. Fill a piping bag with half the jar of Biscoff spread. On the cling film pipe a line of your Buttercream and then Pipe some of your spread so it looks likes this-


Repeat this until it is quite full roll it up into a sausage shape twist at one end and cut open at the other like so-


 Place the sausage into a piping bag with a large star tip (I used a Wilton 1m) Place to the side.

Using your left over crumb place some in the centre of the top of your cake and around the bottom border of your cake creating a crumb border along the bottom
.
Get some caramel ( I use Carnations 397g tinned caramel) however you could make it yourself using a can of condensed milk simply Remove label from the unopened can of condensed milk. Fill a deep medium saucepan with water. Bring to the boil. Carefully place the can in the saucepan, ensuring there’s enough water to completely cover the can at all times, topping up water frequently throughout the cooking process. Simmer, uncovered for 3 hours, After 3 hours open your tin and you should have a tin of caramel.

Place your caramel in a squeezy bottle like the ketchup or mustard ones, or you could just use a piping bag I like to use the bottle as it give me control. Going round the top border of the cake squeeze tiny amounts on the top edge so it drips down leaving ½ cm gap between each. I like to vary the amount of caramel I squeeze out on each drip so the lengths of my drips vary. Keep going until you have drips all along the outside of the cake.

Okay to recap so far you should have an iced cake with a crumb topping and crumb border and caramel drips. Using the piping bag with the cling filmed mixture in, pipe large rosettes all along the top border of the cake and 3 large rosettes in the centre on top of the crumb and place your two whole Biscuits you saved earlier (if you managed not to munch them ) on top of the centre rosettes.

And you’re done; your master piece is complete. Now all that is left to do is eat it. Eat all of it.


I hope you do give this cake a go and enjoy making it, the end result is really worth all the effort it tastes amazing. Although I did make this for my Dad I still managed to eat most of it!

If you do give it a go then do let me know what you think or tag my instagram in any pics- @emilystiersofjoy If you have any recommendations of any other recipes youd like to see me make let me know!
Thanks for reading.

Ingredients:
Sponge:
400g Self Raising Flour
400g Unsalted Butter
400g Light Brown Sugar
7 Large Eggs
1Tsp Baking Powder
Buttercream:
250g Stork Block/ unsalted butter
250g Dark (or light) Brown Sugar
350g Icing Sugar
Decoration:
Carnations Tinned Caramel
250g Lotus Biscoff Biscuits
1 Jar Lotus Biscoff Spread

Step One:
Line and prepare three 8” cake tins and preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gm4
Cream together 400g of unsalted butter and 400g of Light brown sugar in your mixer until fully combined.

Step Two:
Add in 7 Large eggs or 8 Medium into your mixture, sift in 400g self raising flour and mix until combined, mix in 1 tsp of baking powder.

Step Three:
Evenly spread your cake batter into your three tins and place in the oven for 40 minutes (some ovens vary so check it at 30) once 40 minutes have passed use a cake tester or knife and poke it in the middle of each sponge, if the tester comes out clean then the cakes are done. Leave to cool in tins for 10 minutes and then transfer onto cooling racks for 30 minutes until completely cool.

Step four:
Cream 250g of stork block/unsalted butter with 250g of dark brown sugar until fully combined. Spoon by spoon mix in 350g of icing sugar until the mixture is fully combined.

Step Five:
Take two whole biscuits out of your Lotus Biscoff pack and leave to the side for decoration. Take the rest of the biscuits and pour inside a sturdy sandwich bag place this inside another bag and beat with a rolling pin until completely crumbed.

Step six:
Place down your first sponge apply a generous amount of buttercream and spread out evenly sprinkle over a handful of lotus biscoff crumb, repeat until your cake is completely stacked.

Step seven:
Place a generous amount of buttercream on top of the cake and using a palette knife smooth out, apply to the sides and evenly spread around the sides.

Step eight:
Using your crumb create a crumb border around the bottom of the cake and place some crumb on the top centre of the cake.

Step nine:
Place your caramel in a squeezy bottle or piping bag and apply your drip around the top edge of the cake, letting the drips vary in size.

Step ten:
Place the remainder of buttercream in a piping bag. Place half the jar of biscoff spread in a piping bag. Lay out some cling film and using the remainder of the butter cream pipe out a line of buttercream and a line of spread until you have a large amount. Roll up into a sausage shape twisting one end and cutting one open.

Step eleven:
Place the sausage into a piping bag with a large star tip and pipe large rosettes along the top border of the cake and 3 large rosettes in the centre. Place the two whole biscuits you saved earlier on the centre rosettes.

And there you have it your complete Biscoff drip cake. I hope you had fun reading this and hope you give it a try yourself. If you do give it a go then do let me know what you think or tag my instagram in any pics- @emilystiersofjoy. If you have any recommendations of any other recipes you’d like to see me make let me know!
Emily
xx




Comments

Popular Posts